May 16 2013

User is unable to access his mailbox using Outlook WebApp or with the Outlook client

We had quite a mind twister yesterday with a user that was unable to access his mailbox using his Outlook client nor Outlook WebApp.

Some history on this issue:

We have a 3rd party company migrating the users to our Exchange systems. This means that some duplicate accounts are being migrated to our Active Directory environment. The duplicate accounts obviously started confusing people and some tech’s deleted wrong accounts and mailboxes etc.

Overall it got quite messy a few times. A lot of “decryption of information” is done  by the time the incidents reaches my team.

This particular problem was quite interesting because we asked the desktop engineer to access Outlook WebApp to test if he is able to access the mailbox in question. The error received stated that the user account is disabled. We checked and double checked, heck even triple checked  but that account was not disabled and the user is supposed to be able to access his mailbox.

We verified permissions on the mailbox itself but the user just could not connect to his mailbox. The user was able to logon to Active Directory and use all his other services but just not his mailbox.

I then found that there was a disconnected mailbox for the user in Exchange 2010.

What I then did was open power shell and ran: Get-MailboxDatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase 

The disconnected mailbox then just disappeared without telling Exchange to delete the disconnected mailbox. Some research showed that the above command actually refreshes the information from Active Directory.

The user was able to connect to his mailbox using Outlook and OutlookWebapp after running this cmdlet.

If you however need to delete the disconnected mailbox you can run: Get-MailboxStatistics -Database “Database Name” | FL DisplayName, DisconnectDate, MailboxGuid

Then copy the mailbox you need to remove’s GUID and run:

Remove-Mailbox -Database “Database Name” -StoreMailboxIdentity “MailboxGuid” -Confirm:$False

Before looking in all the wrong places run that first cmdlet to “refresh” the information from Active Directory and test mailbox access again.


May 11 2011

Outlook Web Access is not showing the same content as in Outlook

I had a very interesting problem today that I’ve never experienced before with Exchange 2003 and OWA.

Some users advised that when in OWA the mail shown is a month old and no new mail is shown in OWA newer than the previous month. All e-mail is visible and accessible in Outlook though.
I logged onto OWA using the user’s credentials and noted the same. I then saw that the view in OWA is set to messages (which should show all messages) as per below:

I then chose unread messages (which shows unread mail but not necessarily all or recent mail) as per below:

This showed all unread mail but not the results we wanted. I then chose messages again and all mail was shown as we expected it in the first place. All read, unread, most recent and old mail as per the Outlook client was visible.

This however is a quick fix and the first time that I’ve personally seen it. I’m sure with some more investigation there will be a patch or config that will resolve this.