May 16 2013

User is unable to access his mailbox using Outlook WebApp or with the Outlook client

We had quite a mind twister yesterday with a user that was unable to access his mailbox using his Outlook client nor Outlook WebApp.

Some history on this issue:

We have a 3rd party company migrating the users to our Exchange systems. This means that some duplicate accounts are being migrated to our Active Directory environment. The duplicate accounts obviously started confusing people and some tech’s deleted wrong accounts and mailboxes etc.

Overall it got quite messy a few times. A lot of “decryption of information” is done  by the time the incidents reaches my team.

This particular problem was quite interesting because we asked the desktop engineer to access Outlook WebApp to test if he is able to access the mailbox in question. The error received stated that the user account is disabled. We checked and double checked, heck even triple checked  but that account was not disabled and the user is supposed to be able to access his mailbox.

We verified permissions on the mailbox itself but the user just could not connect to his mailbox. The user was able to logon to Active Directory and use all his other services but just not his mailbox.

I then found that there was a disconnected mailbox for the user in Exchange 2010.

What I then did was open power shell and ran: Get-MailboxDatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase 

The disconnected mailbox then just disappeared without telling Exchange to delete the disconnected mailbox. Some research showed that the above command actually refreshes the information from Active Directory.

The user was able to connect to his mailbox using Outlook and OutlookWebapp after running this cmdlet.

If you however need to delete the disconnected mailbox you can run: Get-MailboxStatistics -Database “Database Name” | FL DisplayName, DisconnectDate, MailboxGuid

Then copy the mailbox you need to remove’s GUID and run:

Remove-Mailbox -Database “Database Name” -StoreMailboxIdentity “MailboxGuid” -Confirm:$False

Before looking in all the wrong places run that first cmdlet to “refresh” the information from Active Directory and test mailbox access again.