I’ve built a Ubuntu Server to backup my Home server data and needed to test a few ports to see if they are open. Windows 8 and 8.1 does not have the telnet client installed by default so I decided to post an article to show you how to enable it. Below are the steps involved and a video showing how to enable telnet.
- Open up the control panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Click “Turn Windows Features on of Off” on the left in the Programs and Features window.
- Scroll down till you see “Telnet Client” and check the check box.
- The telnet client will now install.
- Windows needs to restart after the telnet client has been installed.
- Open the command prompt after Windows loaded and type telnet. You should now be able to use telnet.
Here’s a quick video I made for a step by step: