Sep 13 2016

Error due to mismatch of GUID: Recipient “NameOfRecipient” has mismatched Archive GUID

You receive the error “Recipient “NameOfRecipient” has mismatched Archive GUID” when you try and off board a mailbox from Exchange Online to on premises Exchange.

Follow the below steps o resolve the issue and migrate the mailbox back to the on premises Exchange environment:

  1. Logon to Exchange Online using Powershell.
  2. Run: get-mailbox user | fl *archiveguid*
  3. Make a note of the GUID
  4. Open Exchange Management Shell on premises
  5. Run: Get-RemoteMailbox User | fl *archiveguid*
  6. You should see that the GUID on prem is different to the GUID from Exchange Online
  7. To resolve, in Exchange Management Shell on prem run: Set-RemoteMailbox User -ArchiveGuid “GUID you got from Exchange Online”

The above should work without any issues but we had an issue where the mailbox in question was migrated from Exchange 2007, we want to migrate it back to an Exchange 2010 DAG and received the below error when trying to set the GUID as per step 7 above:

Property Archive GUID can’t be set on on this object because it requires the object to have version 0.10 (14.0.100.0) or later. The object’s current version is 0.1 (8.0.535.0)

To resolve the above error follow the below steps:

  1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers
  2. Make sure you choose view -> Advanced Features
  3. Browse to the User, right click on the user and choose Properties
  4. Click on the Attribute Editor Tab
  5. Look for MSExchVersion and open it
  6. We had to change the version to Exchange 2010 from 2007. Thus change the data to 44220983382016
  7. Click OK
  8. Wait for replication and run the Set-RemoteMailbox User -ArchiveGuid “GUID you got from Exchange Online” again from Exchange Management Shell on prem.
  9. Wait for replication
  10. Run get-mailbox User | fl *archiveguid* and make sure the GUID has now been changed to the GUID you found in Exchange Online
  11. Proceed to migrate the mailbox to on prem after the GUID has been set

The Exchange Version AD Attributes are:

Exchange 2010: 44220983382016

Exchange 2007: 4535486012416

We used the below 2 web articles / blogs which assisted us greatly. Please check out these articles as well as they were the sources used to resolve the above mentioned issues:

Paul Cunningham’s ExchangeServerPro.com website:

The Article which describes how to get the Archive GUID and set it on prem.

Technotip blog.

Here we found the attribute values for the Exchange versions.

 

 


Mar 9 2016

Newly migrated mailbox to Office 365 does not receive new e-mail

We had an interesting issue where  user’s mailbox was migrated to Office 365 but he could not see any new mail in the mailbox. Even sending himself mail did not show the new e-mail items.

We sent a few test mails and tracked the mail from on premises Exchange to Office 365 which showed that the mail delivered to the cloud.
We then traced the mail items from within the Office 365 admin portal and confirmed that the mails delivered to the mailbox but we could still not see the items.
Thinking that it might be desktop related we asked the user to logon to Outlook Web App and we could still not find the mail items that showed as being delivered to the mailbox.

I then ran the Get-InboxRule cmdlet against the mailbox to see if a rule might be interfering. Suddenly the new test mails sent after I ran the cmdlet delivered to the mailbox and we were able to see them. Testing all new mail to and from the mailbox seemed to have worked after I ran the Get-InboxRule cmdlet as if it reset the rules somehow.

This still boggles my mind but it’s worth a try if you have the same issue.


Mar 9 2016

Moving an on premise mailbox to Office 365 gives the error “Transient error StoragePermanentException has occurred. The system will retry (6/640).”

One of my colleagues battled to migrate an on premise Exchange 2010 mailbox to Office 365. After trying to repair the mailbox and numerous other things he still received the below error:

Transient error StoragePermanentException has occurred.

                                           The system will retry (6/640).

Eventually he appended the -SkipMoving:FolderRestrictions to the New-MoveRequest cmdlet and managed to migrate the user’s mailbox to Office 365.